Hello to All on this Monday before Christmas,
This will be a very quick post for this very quick recipe.
The motivation for me to find a recipe for applesauce came from FD #1. She had homemade applesauce at a restaurant and went nuts over it. She turned to Restaurant Quality in the hopes of discovering homemade applesauce on her dining table. In what seemed to be a nano-second, she did.
I turned to the website of the Food Network and searched for applesauce. Alton Brown had one that took 10 minutes in the microwave.
Ten minute applesauce????? Homemade??????
I must digress. Making applesauce flooded the recesses of my memory bank. Floating to the forefront came the memories of the Home Ec classes 'the Catholic kids' took at the public school in the neighborhood. Here's how it worked: for some reason, we (aforementioned Catholic kids) walked four blocks to the nearest public grade school for Home Ec classes. And, the nuns did not come with us ----- I think it's because in addition to vows of poverty and purity, they took a vow to never step foot in a public school.
This occurred once a week. First semester, we had sewing classes (aprons and gathered skirts); second semester, we had cooking classes. Our teacher was Mrs. Redden, who at the time seemed to be 70 years old. She was probably 40. The cooking classroom was HUGE. There were many 'mini kitchens' setup, including stoves, sinks, etc. We learned how to make biscuits (have not made them since) and applesauce. I can still picture standing at the stove and stirring the apples.
The kitchen stations were 'face to face', so when standing at the sink, you were facing one of your friends, standing at the sink right across from you. Picture this: grab the spray nozzle you use to rinse out the sink, stretch it out as much as you can, open the doors under the sink, have your friend on the opposite sink do the same. You can now see each other, because there is no common wall. Spray each other w/ water through the opening under the sink.
Mrs. Redden did not like this creative use of kitchen equipment.
Here's an important piece of information Mrs. Redden taught us: When buttering a piece of toast, ALWAYS make sure the butter covers the entire piece of bread, right out to the edges, or your guests will notice and think you are a poor host. I have always felt I cannot measure up to such exceedingly high standards. I remedy this lack of toast buttering confidence by toasting my guests, not toasting their bread..............
Back to the reason why you are here: Homemade Applesauce.......................
3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, quartered
3 Fugi Apples, peeled, cored, quartered
1 C. apple juice
2 T. brandy (optional)
2 T. butter
3 T. honey
1/2 t. cinnamon
In a sealable microwave safe container, combine all ingredients.
Close lid, but leave one corner 'open' for venting.
Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
Using a blender or an immersion blender, blend to desired consistency.
Serve warm or chilled.
My Notes:
I found that it took longer than 10 minutes in the microwave. At 10 minutes, apples were still on the 'hard' side of being done, so I just continued in the microwave in 2 minute segments. Mine took a total of about 14 minutes.
I used apple cider because that's what I had.
I did not use the brandy. I wanted to see what the end result tasted like without the brandy. It was VERY good.
In addition to the 1/2 t. cinnamon, I threw in 1/2 t. apple pie spice.
I used a regular blender. Did the blending in small batches (filled up the blender half way).
This applesauce was really, really good. I served it with pork tenderloin. But, the epitome of all food to serve with applesauce would be potato pancakes. When 2010 has made its appearance, I'll post that recipe ----- it's worth bypassing any diet related resolutions, but just for one meal.
1 comment:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...this sounds fantastic.
Post a Comment