Chris has asked for some recipes for 'empty nesters'. Well, here's a sure winner, and you can make it for one, two, or more. Just adjust the sauce ingredients for the number of boneless, skinless chicken breast halves you use. The recipe is for two of them. And the sauce, well that's what makes this soooo good.
I serve it with brown rice and a salad. (and wine!)
Chicken Breast with Mustard-Cider Sauce
Serves 2
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat, then patted dry with
paper towel
Table salt and pepper
1 T. olive oil
1 small shallot, minced
2/3 Cup apple cider
2 t. apple cider vinegar
1 t. grey poupon mustard
1 t. minced fresh Italian parsley
1 T. unsalted butter
To flatten the chicken breasts, I use a small frying pan and smack the holy heck out of the chicken until it is about 3/8" thick. Or, you can use one of those meat pounder things.
Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 t. of the oil (I never measure, just once around the pan) in a large skillet, over med-high heat until smoking (the oil, not you).
Place chicken in the skillet and cook without moving them until browned, about
2-3 minutes. Flip chicken and continue to cook until second side is lightly browned, 2-3 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
Off heat, add about 1 T. oil and the shallots to hot skillet. Using residual heat, cook the shallots, stirring constantly until softened, about 30 seconds.
Set skillet over med-high heat and add apple cider and apple cider vinegar. Bring to simmer, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits.
Simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 3-4 minutes.
Off heat, stir in mustard and parsley; whisk in butter.
Put the chicken back in the pan. Spoon some sauce over it and cook on low for a couple minutes to get everything nice and warmed up.
The sauce is also very good on pork tenderloin, so says Jimmy.
3 comments:
Kathy, I have been printing all of your receipes as you add them and I look forward to making them hopefully in my new kitchen overlooking the lake. Waiting for your baked brie recipe.....Judy
Had this the other night. It is a keeper for sure.
Recently dined in the "West Valley" with the proprietor and her "rt hand man".
Our main entree was the ckn with mustard and cider sauce.
This is so good you really want to lick your plate; however, I did not.....some day I want to be invited back!
Post a Comment