I do flit in and flit out, don't I?
Majorly sidetracked the past few months ----- that's what 80 degrees, palm trees, Spring Training, and visitors will cause.
Had a fun-filled, 'talking stupid' week with Ms. Waters Edge. Followed by lots of laughs with The Sisters. Resulted in many additions to the Judy/Janet Collection.
An abundance of 'what shall I do today?' ends up with 'where did the day go?' Before I know it, it's cocktail time.
Today, I am blog-focused, so here goes........
FS #2 has recruited a following for RestaurantQuality. There have been repeated requests from them for the Roast Beef Sandwiches recipe. I've been making this for years. Got the recipe from FS #1's Cub Scout leader ----- so, doing the math, this has been served at our house for 29 years. Meets the criteria for 'definite repeater', don't you think?
And, you don't have to be having a baptism to make it.............................
Life is good...........
Roast Beef Sandwiches
425 degrees
Sirloin Tip Roast, anywhere from 4-6 pounds
2 cans Campbell's Cream of Onion soup
1 can beer, your choice (FD #2 would say Miller Lite, please)
1 shot brandy
The night before you'll be eating these, roast the beef for one hour in the oven, preheated to 425 degrees. Don't do anything to the roast, just place it on a rack in a roasting pan.
Remove from oven after one hour and place in refrig, overnight.
Remove from frig, and slice.
Place sliced meat in a roasting pan.
In a large bowl, mix the cream of onion soup, the beer, and the shot of brandy.
Pour over the meat.
Place cover on pan.
Place in oven, at preheated 275 degrees.
Cook for about 3 hours. Periodically spoon gravy over the meat.
Voila, it's ready.
My Notes:
Number 1 recommendation: use a crusty roll for the sandwich. The gravy soaks into the roll, man oh man, it is gravy in all its divineness. If in Milwaukee, get rolls from Sciortino's. On Brady Sreet. It is well worth the ride. While there, buy some cookies. Sold by the pound. The amaretti cookie -- ambrosia!!!! Wait for me, while I daydream about this little corner bakery and its glass enclosed racks of Italian goodness.....................
A 4-6 pound roast will make about 8 sandwiches.
If you like mushrooms as 'a side', toss some whole mushrooms into the roasting pan, when you put it into the oven. I am very mushroom-averse, but Mr. RestaurantQuality loves them. Because I am a very nice person (and want to keep the perfectly proportioned, well-iced old fashioneds coming) I allow mushrooms in the pan. But, I make sure that MY gravy portion has not touched any mushrooms.
Mr. RestaurantQuality does the slicing of the roast. Uses an electric knife. Meat is sliced similar to getting sliced deli meat. Not too thin, but not too thick, said the Mama Bear.
No comments:
Post a Comment