Saturday, April 10, 2010

Panko Crusted Chicken with Mustard Maple Pan Sauce

What's this? A second blog post on the same day?

I'm into it, today. That, and Ms. Waters Edge has asked a second time for this recipe. I keep raving about it and she keeps asking for the recipe. And, so she shall have it (and you are the indirect beneficiary)....................

Life is good.............


Panko Crusted Chicken with Mustard Maple Pan Sauce

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat
1 large egg
1 T. finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 t. Dijon mustard
1 C. panko bread crumbs (you might need more)
2 T. EVOO (that's olive oil, Ms. Champions Ct.)
1 C. chicken broth
3 T. maple syrup (the real stuff)
2 T. coarse-grained mustard
1 T. chilled butter (unsalted, if you have it)


Whisk egg, parsley and Dijon mustard in large bowl.

Place a chicken breast in egg mixture and turn to coat.

Dredge chicken breast in panko crumbs, turning to coat.

Place on cooling rack for about 20 minutes.

Heat oil in large skillet, medium-high heat.

Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through. About 4 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, whisk broth, syrup, coarse-grained mustard in a 2 cup glass measuring cup.

When chicken is done, transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Let rest.

Add broth mixture to skillet; boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, stirring occasionally.

Add butter and whisk in until melted. This is when the'dreaminess' factor kicks in.

Serve sauce with the chicken.


My Notes:

Panko bread crumbs are pretty standard in grocery stores. The ones I buy are in a box. Sometimes they are with the 'regular' bread crumbs; sometimes they are in the Asian food section.

Recipe calls for 1 cup panko. For the dredging, I pour the one cup panko into a pie plate or an 8x8 baking pan. (nice and flat for the dredging process) Dependent upon the size of the chicken breasts, you made need more panko. Just pour more into the pie plate.

Here's how I flatten the chicken breast: place one on a large piece of saran-type wrap. cover with another piece of wrap. Use the flat side of a meat pounder to flatten the chicken to about 3/8". If you don't have a meat pounder, pound the chicken with a rolling pin or the bottom of a small skillet/frying pan. You have to really whack at it. Now, if you have a counter that you don't want to damage, be sure to have the chicken on a large cutting board when you do the whacking.

RE: coarse-grained mustard. Don't drive yourself crazy on this 'coarse-grained' stuff. I have some 'stone ground' mustard that I used. Use what you have.

1 comment:

Pucci said...

Delicious! Especially being the assistant to the chef while I am sipping a perfectly blended Captain and Coke. :)