Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lemon Sugar Cookies

Good golly, Miss Molly, where have I been????

Can't believe it has been two months since I've been here. In the interim, I've been back in The City By A Great Lake, returned to the Great Southwest, and then back to The City By A Great Lake.

In between all those travels, Restaurant Quality went to Paris. Oo-la-la!!
What a beautiful city ---- the architecture, the statues, the sculptures, and most importantly, the wine. Food was secondary for me. I must note that baked items are not defined as 'food' in Paris. Baked items come under the heading of 'ambrosia' in Paris. Ambrosia is of primary importance to Restaurant Quality!!

Paris highlights: The Lourve, especially standing at 'Winged Victory' and thinking of all she represents. Night river cruise on the Seine, with the Eiffel Tower in all its sparkling splendor. Notre Dame -- no further description necessary. Amarina gelato -- Je voudrais le grande, si'l vous plait. Drinking wine, every night, at the cafe near our hotel.

I'll be showing Mr. RestaurantQuality around Paris next year. Oo-la-la!!

I come to you today, bearing Lemon Sugar Cookies. This recipe is at the request of Ms. Jackson Street. It's a recipe I found online, but cannot remember where. It's a sugar cookie, with a kiss of lemon --- tasty to have while sitting on a balcony, watching the parasailing on Lake Monona, and talking with wonderful friends...................

See you much sooner than last time.

Life is good...........


Lemon Sugar Cookies

Suggested musical background: Barry White's 'You're My First, My Last, My Everything. (I LOVE to bake with Barry ----- he makes everything tastes better.)


Oven at 375 degrees; makes about four dozen cookies.

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 T. lemon zest
2 large eggs, at room temp
1/2 t. vanilla

1/2 cup sugar, for rolling cookies


In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In large bowl, cream butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.

Beat in eggs, one at a time.

Add vanilla.

Gradually mix in flour mixture, at low speed.

Chill dough for a couple hours.

Shape dough into 1" balls.

Put 1/2 cup sugar into a small bowl.

Roll dough balls in the sugar.

Place on parchment covered cookie sheets.

Bake 9-11 minutes, until set, but not browned.

Cool on pan for one minute; transfer to cooling racks.


My Notes:

Regarding the sugar, when I want to 'feel' like a baker, I use 'baker's sugar'. It's the superfine stuff. Regular sugar is just fine, though, said the Mama Bear.

For the lemon zest, I use a microplane zester. It's one of those kitchen items that come under the heading 'using the right tool for the job'. It sure makes the zesting job effortless.

I always use parchment paper when baking cookies. It's inexpensive and you'll find it where you find aluminum foil. Parchment paper = nice, lightly browned cookie bottoms (provided you don't bake the holy heck out of them).

1 comment:

Pucci said...

OMG! 1st time ever being privi to these cookies was on May 13, 2010. I was "forced" to taste several of these cookies as they went through the "cooling off" process! Did I say forced? :)

Oh they are delicious... the lemon flavor increases as you eat your first cookie....which then "forces" you to have another. Sometimes you need more than a taste to know when something is really good.