Saturday, August 29, 2009

Chicken With Blueberry Chutney

Jesus, Mary and Joseph ------ This should be a post with a recipe for some fancy-pants Hot Chocolate. It was 53 degrees this morning, when I met three of the Ya-Yas for coffee and croissants. As an aside, Restaurant Quality strongly recommends that you venture forth to Le Reve in Wauwatosa ----- wonderful cafe, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Oo-la-la!!!!!

It has warmed up to 61 degrees on this August 29th, so the desire for Hot Chocolate has dissipated, abit.

This post is quickly being written, before Mr. RestaurantQuality and I go over to the Little Sweethearts #1-4. The glorious smell of Grandpa's popcorn will fill their house, while Mommy and Daddy enjoy The Boys of Summer and The Sausage Race. The way the season has been going The Sausage Race will be more entertaining.

Dinner tonight for the Little Sweethearts will be cocktail weiners wrapped in crescent rolls, with 'Dip n Dots' for dessert.

Here's an idea for your dinner, sometime this week.

Life is good......................


Chicken With Blueberry Chutney

Suggested musical background: Smooth by Santana

Chutney

2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup golden raisins
3 T. cider vinegar
1 1/2 t. grated fresh ginger
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. crushed red pepper
dash, ground cloves
1 clove garlic, minced

Combine all in medium saucepan.
Bring to boil.
Decrease heat to medium-low; simmer for about 25 minutes or until thick.
Inhale the wonderfully aromatic steam coming out of that pan.......


Chicken

4 chicken breast halves, boneless/skinless
1 1/2 T. olive oil
3/4 t. dried basil
3/4 t. oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Combine the olive oil, basil, oregano, garlic in a bowl. This will be used for the marinade

Place the chicken in a large ziploc bag and pour in the marinade.

Place in frig for 2 hours. Flip the bag over a couple of times.

Remove chicken from bag and sprinkle with the salt/pepper.

Grill the chicken and serve with the chutney.


My Notes:

Does not matter if you use fresh or frozen berries. I tend to use frozen, because I usually have them on hand.

If you don't have golden raisins, what is wrong with you? Just a bit of levity, there. Use regular raisins with no problem.

The grated fresh ginger. If you want to use fresh ginger, you won't need much of it. When you are selecting it in the produce section, just break off a piece the size you want. Will cost about 17 cents.

I usually use bottled ground ginger in place of fresh ginger. It's usually in the refrigerated area of the produce department. It's in a 4 oz glass jar. The one I have now is 'Spice World'. It's the consistency of a thick paste. I use about 1/2 teaspoon.
Sometimes it is hard to find, both in the produce department AND in my frig.

I rarely mince my own garlic, anymore. Have gotten used to having the bottled minced garlic in the frig. I know, I should mince my own garlic, but it's one of the things I've gotten past.

The chutney can easily be made ahead and kept in the frig. Just reheat, over low heat, when you are ready for it.

No comments: