Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day To All.............

This post was meant to be a recipe for Broccoli Salad, with a paragraph acknowledging Memorial Day.

It now, rightfully, is a post HONORING Memorial Day. It evolved into a 'stand alone' post after I did some quick online research, and I'm glad I did.

One of my grade school teachers (I mean nuns -- eyes in the back of the head and ruler in hand), at St. Thomas Aquinas probably made me memorize what I have to share with you, but at the time 'history' was of no interest to me.

Age ---- I meant to say 'life experiences' ---- helps me greatly appreciate history. Now, I cannot get enough of it. That appreciation was ignited by a teacher I had a lifetime ago, at Milwaukee Area Technical College, and I will always remember him.

Memorial Day. The last Monday in May. Long weekend. Get the grill out. Hope it is not raining so that you can plant some flowers. Countdown to last day of school.

Think deeper.

Memorial Day, begun as a result of the Civil War. Initially, it was called Decoration Day because people would go out to the graves of Civil War soldiers and decorate their graves.

Formal acclimation was given on May 30, 1868, at Arlington National Cemetery. Flags were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers, on that day to honor and remember all who died in that War. I am humbled to say that I have a 'many times great' grandfather who lies in Arlington, having given his life in the Union cause. It is due to the loving geneological efforts of Ms. Waters Edge that we have recently come to know this.

From 1868 until 1971, Memorial Day was always on May 30th. In 1971, Memorial Day was moved to the last Monday in May.

Memorial Day has evolved to encompass honoring and remembering all those who have given their life in service to our great country.

If you ever get to Washington, D.C., go to Arlington. Stand on the porch of Robert E. Lee's home and look out, not only at the Washington Monument in the distance, but to the ground around you. That's where the Union and Confederate soldiers lie.

Go to The Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier. Think of ALL who have given their lives in the service of our country - from the Revolutionary War to today. Stay for the Changing Of The Guard. Be awed by the quiet, by the reverence.

And remember them.......................

Life is good

No comments: