Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Stu's Enchiladas

About a month ago, Mr. and Mrs. Green Bay came to The Valley Of The Sun. Primary purpose: cuddle their Darling Granddaughter (AKA my Little Sweetheart #5).

Secondary purpose: cooking and eating (ETA, golfing comes in above cooking and eating).

One evening, Mr. Green Bay made his much sought after enchiladas. They are really, really good and very easy to make.


Stu's Enchiladas

375 degree oven 15 minutes


1 pound ground beef
chopped onion, optional
1 cup refried beans
1 small can black olives
1 package taco seasoning mix
3/4 cup water
tortillas (I used 8")
1 can enchilada sauce
8 oz. shredded cheese


Brown the meat (with the onion if you are adding it).

Add the taco seasoning mix and water. Bring to boil; reduce to simmer and cook for five minutes.

Add refried beans and olives.

Heat through.

Spoon into tortillas and place in pan.

Cover with sauce and cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes.


My Notes:

I substituted chicken instead of beef. Here's how I did it: 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat between two pieces of plastic wrap. Season with salt/pepper. Pan saute in olive oil until nicely browned on both sides. Cut into small bite size pieces.

I did not use the black olives, because I am not a black olive gal.

I bought a more expensive enchilada sauce. In the past, I've made enchiladas but always thought the sauce tasted 'tinny', so with this recipe I paid more for a more authentic brand. It paid off; the taste was very good. (I cannot remember the brand name --- I know, what kind of foodblog is this, that cannot provide a brand name. The next time I make these, I will edit in the brand. Lo siento.)

Mr. Green Bay serves his enchiladas with El Rio Spanish Rice (no substitutions for him).

I served mine with a side salad. Mr. Restaurant Quality does not care for spanish rice, and that's putting it mildly.

No comments: