Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Chicken Chili

I'm back............................

I haven't been around for awhile --- did you miss me? Mr. Restaurant Quality and I have just returned from one week in Florida, spending quality time with Mickey and Minnie Mouse, as they helped celebrate my 60th birthday. Had an absolutely fabulous time. Stayed at the Grand Floridian, a dream come true for me, thanks to the 'Buy 4 nights, stay for 7' special Disney has going. Our room was on the water, with a view of Cinderella's Castle --- ohhhhhh, how it glows at night. Had a 7 day ParkHopper Ticket, and 'hop' we did. What a blast. Best ride: Exhibition Everest. Best 'experience ride': Soarin'. Best food: Tutto Italia (in Epcot, Italy pavilion). Ate there twice. Best show: Finding Nemo (Animal Kingdom). Saw every parade. Highlight of the parade: The Princesses. Ahhhh, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White - they looked right at me and waved with that 'flick of the wrist and the fingers just so' that every girl who grew up in the 50s remembers. (not to mention Snow White's voice.....)

Upon my return, I spent Monday taking care of LS (Little Sweetheart) #5, who of course is absolutely darling. Made dinner for Mommy/Daddy, as well as Mr. Restaurant Quality and myself -- Chicken Chili.

This recipe was being 'sampled' at one of the major supermarkets I go to in The Great SouthWest. Very, very good, so I immediately picked up the recipe. I think you'll like it. Very easy to put it together. Fabulous Daughter #1 and Fabulous Son-In-Law #1 said they wanted to lick the bowls.

The recipe calls for the breast meat of a deli rotisserie chicken. I pan sauted 4 chicken breasts, instead.


Chicken Chili

2 T. olive oil
1 t. crushed red pepper
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T. garlic, minced
28 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes, not drained
(2-14 oz cans)
3 cups pre-cooked chicken*
1 can, 16 oz. cannelloni beans, not drained
1 can, 15 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained
12 oz bottle of your favorite beer
1/4 t. liquid smoke
1 envelope white chicken chili seasoning mix
1 cup corn (I used frozen)


Heat a large pan (you know, the size you use to make chili or spaghetti sauce) over med-high
heat for 2 minutes. Add oil and swirl to coat.

Add crushed red pepper, red bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Saute for about 8 minutes.

Stir in all remaining ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
(I let it simmer for about one hour.)

Serve. Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, sliced black olives, chopped
red onion, crushed tortilla chips.

I used shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro.


*The chicken: The most convenient method: buy a deli rotisserie chicken and use the breast meat, cut into bite size pieces.

I had boneless, skinless chicken breast in the freezer, so I used that. I had 4 small chicken breasts. First, I flattened them, to about 1/2". (place the chicken - one at a time - between 2 pieces of plastic wrap; then, whack the holy heck out of them with the bottom of a small fry pan). I then seasoned them with lemon pepper seasoning mix (use whatever you like, even just salt/pepper).

To pan saute: in saute/fry pan: 1 T. olive oil and 2 T. butter, heat together until butter is melted. Add chicken breast. Cook about 8 minutes on each side, until cooked through.

Remove from pan, and cover with foil. Let rest about five minutes. Cut into bite size pieces.

Life is good................

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I made it last night and it is REALLY good. Pretty easy to make too.